Beloved by both those who live in the area and visiting celebrities and dignitaries (click here to watch a video of President Barack Obama’s visit to Ben’s Chili Bowl a few days before his inauguration), this neighborhood joint has served up half smokes and chili burgers in both peaceful and chaotic times since 1958.
For those who’ve never had a half smoke, a half smoke is a heavenly tasting kielbasa sized smoked sausage made of beef and/or pork which is popular in the Washington, DC Area (and who’ve been fortunaye enough to visit).
The founder of Ben’s Chili Bowl, Ben Ali recently died at age 82, but his children plan to continue the tradition he started.
Below is a segment from Anthony Bourdain’s No Reservations Show on the Travel Channel, where he eats half smokes during a pildrimage to Ben’s Chili Bowl and talks about the large and lasting impact even a small restaurant can have on the spirit of a community.
You can see other recent Weekend Video Spotlight Videos here.
Please join us tomorrow to see this week’s Hugging the Coast.Com Week in Review, an overview of last week’s special food features (as well as selected previews from the week to come).
If you liked this video on HuggingtheCoast.Com, you might also enjoy:
- Southern Chili Cheese Bologna Burger Recipe
- Charleston Chili: The Grand Prize Winning Recipe in the Taste of the South Competition
- Spicy Asian Chili Garlic Egg Salad Recipe
- Chicken Vindaloo Original Recipe Song: (Weekend Video Spotlight)
- Sherry-Braised Hollywood Pork Rib Sandwiches With Raisins and Olives Recipe
- How to Cook a Gourmet Meal in Your Hotel Room: (Weekend Video Spotlight)