With all the festivities related to Oktoberfest – drinking, dancing in lederhosen, drinking, singing rowdy beer hall songs, drinking, etc. – one might forget to, you know, eat at some point. Sure, it does interfere with one’s hectic drinking schedule, but food is kind of necessary.
However, if you don’t want to stray too far from the prime directive, here’s a way you can have your beer and eat it, too! This soup showcases the rich, malty sweetness of genuine Oktoberfest style beer and adds other bold flavors that will have you yodelling for more!
Use a marzen-style beer such as Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest-Marzen, Beck’s Oktoberfest, or Samuel Adams OctberFest. You want to use something malty, a bit sweet, and only mildly hoppy for this soup. (You can also make this with Guinness Stout, but you’ll probably need to add a bit of brown sugar towards the end.)
Here’s how to make the Oktoberfest Beer Onion Soup with Blue Cheese:
3 Tbsp canola or vegetable oil
6 cups chopped yellow or white onions
1/4 cup minced shallots
2 Tbsp dried marjoram
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups ‘märzen’ –style beer
3 cups low sodium beef stock
1 cup water
6 slices whole grain bread
4 ounces chive-flavored cream cheese
5-6 oz blue cheese crumbles
Heat the oil in a heavy stockpot over medium heat. Slowly sauté the onions, uncovered and stirring often, until deeply colored (20 minutes or more). When the onions are almost done cooking, stir in the shallots, marjoram, and pepper; sauté 5-7 minutes more.
Pour in the beer, stock, and water. Bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer 20 minutes. Adjust salt & pepper.
When the soup is ready, lightly butter the bread on both sides and toast under the broiler until barely golden. Spread a thin layer of chive cream cheese all the way to the edges on one side of each slice, top with the blue cheese crumbles, and broil until bubbly.
Please join us tomorrow to read our newest food and cooking article: September Adventures in Food Blogging: The Most Popular Recipes and Cooking Articles on Hugging the Coast.
If you liked this article on HuggingtheCoast.Com, you might also enjoy:
- Cooking With Beer: Delicious Recipes to Celebrate Your Favorite Brew
- The Top 10 Foods to Help You Celebrate Oktoberfest at Home
- Tequila Lime Shrimp Recipe: (Fish For Friday Recipe)
- The Top 10 Best Places to Celebrate Oktoberfest in the U.S.
- 2 Minute Party Trick: How to Quickly Chill Many Cans of Soda (or Beer)
- Mexican Guacamole Onion Soup With Cheesy Tostadas Recipe
- Award Winning Gourmet Hamburger Recipes from The Build a Better Burger Recipe Contest
- A Week of Onion Rings: Stuffed Potato Skin Onion Rings Recipe
- A Taste of Home in Mason Jars
- Quick and Creamy Three Lettuce Enoki Mushroom Soup Recipe