Here’s a burger that’s quick, tasty, and just a little bit different. Corn chips make a nice crunchy crust on these that add to the Tex-Mex flavors and the squash keeps them nice and moist inside.
These burgers are great pan fried, or if you have a crowd to feed you can double or triple the recipe and make a bunch of them in the oven all at once.
Here’s how to make the Crunchy Taco Turkey Burgers:
1 medium yellow squash (or zucchini), peeled
1 lb ground turkey
2 Tbsp minced dried onion
1 Tbsp minced pickled jalapenos
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp smoked paprika
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp powdered bouillon (I used chicken, but beef or veg would be fine too)
1 1/2 cups coarsely crushed Frito-type corn chips (I used BBQ flavor but regular is great also)
Grate the squash on a fine hole grater. Squeeze out as much liquid as you can (either by wrapping in cheesecloth and twisting, or just taking a handful at a time and squeezing the heck out of it.)
Combine all ingredients except corn chips. Form into 4 hearty burgers, dredge in corn chips, and fry over medium heat in a very lightly oiled pan until cooked through.
Top with salsa and/or guacamole. Serves 4.
Please join us tomorrow to read our newest food and cooking article, A Taste of Home in Mason Jars.
If you liked this article on HuggingtheCoast.Com, you might also enjoy:
- Gourmet Burger Recipes: Indian Summer Turkey Burger With Sweet Corn Mayo Recipe
- Gourmet Chicken Salad Swiss Melt Sandwich Recipe
- 2 Minute Party Trick: How to Quickly Chill Many Cans of Soda (or Beer)
- Award Winning Gourmet Hamburger Recipes from The Build a Better Burger Recipe Contest
- Southern Chili Cheese Bologna Burger Recipe
- Be Your Own Hero: Gourmet Sandwich Recipes and Ideas for Work and School
- Porcini Infused Wagyu Burger With Ponzu Onion Marmalade Recipe