No matter where they may end up, anyone who’s ever lived up North remembers Indian summer with fondness. That blessed stretch of warm days before the chill autumn breezes begin gives one more welcome taste of the summer just passed. One more chance to wear short sleeves and flip flops. One more chance to sit in lawn chairs and enjoy the sun on your skin.
Indian summer itself may be short-lived, but happy memories of it can live on well into autumn. This recipe is the bridge between them: it combines the sunny spirit of outdoor cooking with the flavors of the coming season. Grill these burgers outside while the sun shines, or make them indoors on a grill pan when you’re snowed in.
Either way, I hope they become a happy memory of Indian summer for you.
Here’s how to make the Indian Summer Turkey Burger With Sweet Corn Mayo:
Ingredients for the Burgers:
1 cup shelled walnuts pieces
2 lbs ground turkey
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 cup dried cherries or dried cranberries
2 Tbsp minced fresh sage leaves
4 oz yellow or white cheddar, cut into small cubes
6 - burger-sized Potato Rolls
Ingredients for the Sweet Corn Mayo:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sweet corn kernels (drained)
1 tsp - sweet red pepper relish
Lightly toast the walnuts in a dry skillet over medium heat, stirring, until fragrant (about 3 - 5 minutes.) Let cool briefly.
Pour the walnuts into a large mixing bowl and add the ground turkey, salt & pepper, cherries, sage, and cheddar. Mix gently, but thoroughly, and form into 6 patties. Refrigerate the patties for at least 10 minutes.
In a small bowl, combine the mayo and the corn. Mash the kernels with a fork (don’t be too thorough; you want there to be some randomness to the texture.) Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Grill or fry the burgers over medium-high heat, turning once, until cooked through. Serve on lightly toasted potato rolls with a dollop of Sweet Corn Mayo.
Please join us tomorrow to read our newest food and cooking article: an all American Southern comfort food recipe for a Chili Cheese Bologna Burger.
If you liked this article on HuggingtheCoast.Com, you might also enjoy:
- Crunchy Taco Turkey Burger Recipe
- Porcini Infused Wagyu Burger With Ponzu Onion Marmalade Recipe
- Party Friendly Links from the Hugging the Coast Labor Day Weekend Twitter Marathon
- Award Winning Gourmet Hamburger Recipes from The Build a Better Burger Recipe Contest
- Summertime, Where the Grilling (and Outdoor Cooking) is Easy
- Gourmet Dip, Salsa, and Spread Recipes to Brighten Any Party or Meal
- 11 Gourmet Ice Cream Milkshake Recipes to Help You Survive the Dog Days of Summer
- How to Cook a Gourmet Meal in Your Hotel Room: (Weekend Video Spotlight)