This creamy, flavorful soup looks and tastes very sophisticated, but it’s also quick, easy and oh so comforting – as any self-respecting cream of mushroom soup should be. It’s the perfect thing for the grown-ups to decompress with after a long day of Back to School shopping sturm und drang!
It uses a convenient pre-packaged salad mix for ease and speed. I used the Italian-style because it has radicchio (which is very nice cooked), but other mixes would work well (stick with the ‘fancy’ ones, though – you don’t want any Iceberg melting in your soup!)
Pale white and elegant, Enoki are tiny, long-stemmed mushrooms that add a gentle earthy flavor and delicate crunch to soups, salads, wraps, etc. Also called Winter or Snow Puff mushrooms,
Enoki should be cooked only lightly, if at all, to retain their flavor and texture.
Here’s how to make the delicious Quick and Creamy Three Lettuce Enoki Mushroom Soup:
1 Tbsp light olive oil
2 Tbsp white sesame seeds
1 small clove garlic, minced
4 cups “Italian-style” (Romaine, Radicchio, & Endive) pre-washed salad mix (or equivalent)
1 Tbsp finely ground sunflower seed kernels
1 cup half & half
1 cup light chicken stock (or 2/3 cup canned broth plus 1/3 cup water)
1 package (3.5 ounces) Enoki mushrooms
1/4 tsp celery salt
Fresh ground black pepper to taste
In a large saucepan over medium heat, sauté the sesame seeds until they just begin to color. Add the garlic and saute for a minute, then add the lettuces. Stir well and cook until the lettuces soften.
Add the ground sunflower seeds, the half & half, and the stock. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
While the soup is cooking, rinse the Enoki mushrooms and trim off the base to separate the mushrooms. Dry on paper towels.
Add the mushrooms and celery salt; simmer 1 minute more. Adjust salt and add pepper to taste. Serves 2.
Please join us tomorrow to read our newest food and cooking article: August’s Free Cookbook of the Month: The Sugar Solution Cookbook.
If you liked this article on HuggingtheCoast.Com, you might also enjoy:
- Italian Food Series: Turkey and Cipolline Stuffed Mushrooms
- Summer Survival Kit: Cool Recipes to Help You Survive the Hottest Days of Summer
- Mexican Guacamole Onion Soup With Cheesy Tostadas Recipe
- 75+ Recipes From James Beard Award Winning Chefs
- Seared, Wild Mushroom Dusted Shrimp & Scallops With Spaghetti Squash, Porcini Oil, & Grana Padano Shavings
- Vidalia Onion Summer Salad With Asparagus and Salt Pork Lardons Recipe
- Italian Farmhouse Eggs on Rosemary Fry Bread Breakfast Recipe
- Green Pea and Lemongrass Paradise Pasta With Pan-Seared Asparagus Recipe
- Healthy, Hearty, and Warming Winter Soup Recipes