If you’ve ever had Fried Ravioli, also known as Toasted Ravioli, you know that they’re absolutely delicious, but they can be a bit filling as an appetizer. These tasty little tortellini won’t fill you up — unless you shamelessly devour the whole batch pretty much by yourself like a certain blogger I know who shall remain nameless but whose initials are D.D.
You can use meat tortellini as well as cheese, and you can also substitute Asiago or Pecorino Romano for the Parmesan.
The Red Fennel Dipping Sauce is insanely good, but the recipe doesn’t look like it will make enough. Trust me, this stuff is intense — a small dab will provide plenty of flavor!
If it’s too spicy for your taste, reduce the hot sauce to one tablespoon and add another tablespoon of water.
Here’s how to make the Crunchy Fried Tortellini with Red Fennel Dipping Sauce Recipe:
Ingredients for the Crunchy Fried Tortellini:
3/4 cup panko crumbs
1 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp white pepper
1 large egg
1 tsp milk
8 oz frozen cheese tortellini, thawed
Oil for frying
Thoroughly combine the panko, grated cheese, salt, and pepper and spread them on a plate. Beat the egg and milk together in a small mixing bowl.
Dip the tortellini in the egg (you can do a bunch at a time), dredge in crumbs, and let the tortellini rest on a baking pan or cookie sheet.
Heat about 1/2 inch of oil in a skillet to 350 degrees. Fry the tortellini in batches until golden, turning once. Drain on paper towels and keep warm in a low oven until all are cooked. Serve warm with Red Fennel Dipping Sauce (below).
Makes 2-4 servings
Ingredients for the Red Fennel Dipping Sauce:
2 Tbsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp minced cilantro
2 tsp freshly ground fennel seeds
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup tomato paste
2 Tbsp hot sauce (Crystal or Trappey’s are both very good for this)
2 tsp lemon juice
1/4 cup water
In a small mixing bowl, combine all ingredients until well blended.
Makes about 3/4 cup.
Please join us tomorrow to read our new recipe for Southern Pork Rind Breaded Catfish With Pecan Cream Gravy.
If you liked this article on HuggingtheCoast.Com, you might also enjoy:
- Gourmet Dip, Salsa, and Spread Recipes to Brighten Any Party or Meal
- Recipe: Italian Stuffed Peppers With a Sauce So Good You’ll Want to Drink It
- Chicken Pomegranate Stuffed Shells With Gorgonzola Cream and Pine Nuts
- Italian Farmhouse Eggs on Rosemary Fry Bread Breakfast Recipe
- Chimichurri Shrimp Cups with Roasted Garlic Marscapone
- A Roman Holiday: Romantic Italian Recipes To Celebrate Valentine’s Day
- French Onion Soup Lasagna Recipe
- Fish For Friday Recipe: Seafood Risotto for Friends
- Read a Cookbook for Free: Antipasti and Tapas By Cornelia Schinharl