July is National Ice Cream Month…as if we needed an excuse to enjoy the cooling, creamy flavor of ice cream during the summer! Now celebrating its 25th anniversary, National Ice Cream Month is a great opportunity to explore new as well as tried and true ice cream flavors, textures, and toppings.
Below is a video that shows you how to make Deep Fried Ice Cream at home, a delicious novelty ice cream dessert which is often found at state fairs as well as at Mexican, Chinese, Thai, and Japanese restaurants.
The general principal involved in making Deep Fried Ice Cream is to coat a frozen ball of ice cream in an egg batter, then roll it in cornflakes or cookie crumbs, taking care to make sure the ice cream is fully covered so it doesn’t melt when briefly cooked in the hot oil.
Another variation is to tightly form poundcake around the ice cream before frying instead of battering it in the cornflakes or cookie crumbs.
Making Fried Ice Cream is surprisingly easy and doesn’t require exotic or expensive ingredients. However since the ice cream has to be refrozen several times to achieve the best results, Fried Ice Cream is more of a make ahead rather than an instant gratification dessert, so you’ll probably prefer to make it a day or so before you plan to serve it.
Popular toppings for Fried Ice Cream include powdered sugar, whipped cream, drizzled honey, and/or chocolate, caramel, maple, or butterscotch syrup. Fried Ice Cream is also wonderful topped with chopped nuts or fruit.
Video by lateraligator.
You can see other recent Weekend Video Spotlight Videos here.
Please join us tomorrow to see this week’s Hugging the Coast.Com Week in Review, an overview of last week’s special food features (as well as selected previews from the week to come).
If you liked this video on HuggingtheCoast.Com, you might also enjoy:
- Magical Peanut Butter Moon Pie Ice Cream Milkshake Recipe
- 11 Gourmet Ice Cream Milkshake Recipes to Help You Survive the Dog Days of Summer
- 40 Gourmet Ice Cream Recipes to Celebrate National Ice Cream Month
- Yesterday’s Post-Fish For Friday Recipe: Wonderful Salmon Corn Cakes
- The Sunday Soda Menace: The Surprisingly Controversial History of Ice Cream
- Southern Comfort Foods: Low Country Layered Banana Pudding Recipe
- Red Velvet Devil Dawg Sandwich Cookies: Perfect For Ice cream Sandwiches
- A Roundup of Sweet Recipes to Bring in the Chinese New Year
- Weekend Video Spotlight: How to Make Homemade Maple Syrup
- Missing National Corndog Day (and Other Food on Sticks)!