Just in time for cookout season: World champion pitmaster, Chris Lilly, of Big Bob Gibson’s Bar-BQ in Decatur, Alabama has made an interesting video which will show you how to easily and confidently grill such popular seafood as salmon, tuna, and shrimp on skewers on your BBQ grill or outdoor firepit.
You can see it below (or here). Enjoy!
The first way he demonstrates shows the use of a charcoal chimney, a two tier metal cylindar where you place the charcoal in the top chamber and crumpled non-glossy paper (newspaper is ideal) in the lower half.
The second charcoal lighting method he shows is the popular lighter fluid method. Chris stresses that to make sure all the lighter fluid gets burned off so its chemical flavor does not transfer to the food, you must light the doused charcoal right away, rather than waiting for the lighter fluid to soak in.
The third method he uses is the electric charcoal starter.
This charcoal grill lighting video also shows you how to light your charcoal so you can make a large, single zone fire for those times when you’re grilling for a large number of party guests, then goes on to demonstrate how to setup a two zone fire that allows you to do fast, hot, direct grilling in one zone with slower, indirect cooking in the other.
The indirect grilling method comes in handy when you’re working with larger cuts of meat or when you need to slow down the heating of an almost cooked ingredient. He also shows how to use your damper to best control the temperature and cooking speed of your food.
Finally, he shows how vertical smokers work. Smokers are great when you want to cook large cuts of meat low and slow (as in the case of delicious pulled pork barbecue) while keeping the meat moist and juicy.
You can see other recent Weekend Video Spotlight Videos here.
Please join us tomorrow to see this week’s Hugging the Coast.Com Week in Review, an overview of last week’s special food features (as well as selected previews from the week to come).
If you liked this video on HuggingtheCoast.Com, you might also enjoy:
- Weekend Video Spotlight: How to Make Homemade Grilled Brick Oven Pizza on Your BBQ Grill
- Summertime, Where the Grilling (and Outdoor Cooking) is Easy
- 16 Refreshing Summer Fruit Drink Recipes and Ideas to Help You Cool Off and Quench Your Thirst
- 11 Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipes and Ideas to Add Deliciousness to Your Day
- Fish For Friday Recipe: Chef Frank Stitt’s Lowcountry Pickled Shrimp
- 8 Recipes from a James Beard Award Winner: Charleston, SC’s Robert Stehling
- Weekend Video Spotlight: How to Grill Delicious and Buttery Lobster Tails