“A perfect summer day is when the sun is shining, the breeze is blowing, the birds are singing, and the lawn mower is broken.”
Sounds almost perfect! For me I would have to suggest the addition of good food, a cool drink, and the warm company of friends.
As summertime approaches, it becomes even more important for health reasons to stay hydrated; a fact especially true here in the South where the four seasons of the year are Almost Summer, Summer, Still Summer and Christmas.
Here’s 16 delicious, non-alcoholic drink recipes and ideas to help you make the most of the fresh fruits in your garden (or the produce area of your local supermarket, farmer’s market, or health food store).
In many cases, these homemade beverages are more quenching and refreshing than the high fructose corn syrup laden commercial sodas, beverages, and drinks that are popularly sold.
Even better, with proper supervision, some of these drink recipes are easy enough for parents to make with the cooperation of their children; the better to encourage them to explore the joys of using fresh ingredients and creating new flavors in the kitchen.
(You might also want to see our related article, 5 Good Reasons You Should Encourage Your Kids to Cook at an Early Age, to help you find inspiration before you get started cooking with your children.)
- Peachy Key Lime Ginger Lassi Recipe (Pictured)
- Pink Yink Ink Drink Fruit Smoothie Recipe (Inspired by Dr. Suess like our recent recipe for Gourmet Green Eggs and Ham Salad). The Pink Yink Ink Drink Fruit Smoothie Recipe is from The Perfect Pantry
- Chicha de Pina Recipe (South American Spiced Pineapple Drink) from Laylita’s Recipes. She also has a great recipe for making your own homemade pineapple juice here. (Pictured Above)
- Pomegranate Rehydration Drink Recipe (a nice alternative to Gatorade type drinks) from Pro Bono Baker
- Colombian Tree Tomato Juice Made With Tamarillos (Jugo de Tomate de Arbol en Leche) from My Colombian Recipes
Please join us tomorrow to read our newest food article on HuggingtheCoast.Com, Celebrate National Iced Tea Month With These Delicious Sweet (and Unsweet) Tea Recipes.
If you liked this article on HuggingtheCoast.Com, you might also enjoy:
- A Roundup of Refreshing and Delicious Iced Sweet Tea Recipes
- Weekend Video Spotlight: How to Make Homemade Grilled Brick Oven Pizza on Your BBQ Grill
- 11 Gourmet Ice Cream Milkshake Recipes to Help You Survive the Dog Days of Summer
- Cool Down With These Refreshing Chilled Soups for Summer
- 7 Pasta Shapes I Have Loved (Plus 1 That Made Me Gag)
- Missing National Corndog Day (and Other Food on Sticks)!
(Photo Credit: Chicha de Pina (South American Spiced Pineapple Drink Recipe) from Laylita’s Recipes.)