BarbecueWeb has made an interesting video which shows you how to make easy, rustic looking, crusty brick oven style pizzas on your home barbecue grill. (No expensive tools required!)
With Father’s Day and the official start of Summer approaching, this would be a nice way to hold an outdoor celebration without relying on the usual cookout party standbys of burgers and hot dogs.
One of the great things about making your own pizza is it’s very easy to control and select the quality and type of ingredients you use. You can make your own fresh pizza dough by hand or in a bread machine just the way you want it (thick or thin, seasoned or plain, rustic or rolled out carefully, etc.), or you can buy prepared dough from your local bakery, supermarket, or pizza place.
If you choose to use homemade tomato sauce, this can be a great opportunity to use up some of those delicious, juicy tomatoes you have, though prepared sauces are also commonly used.
Of course, you can top your outdoor pizzas with a variety of cheeses (feel free to experiment and make your own cheese combinations!).
Additionally, such vegetables as peppers, onions, mushrooms, eggplant, sun-dried tomatoes, summer squash, olives, broccoli, asparagus, tomatillos, marinated artichokes, spinach, and alfalfa sprouts can be used to make a garden themed pizza and/or you can add such meats as pepperoni, bacon, sausage, ham, spicy chicken, sliced meatballs, or ground turkey or beef to give a meaty flavor to your pizza.
Garlic shrimp is also a nice touch on a rustic pizza topped with shaved garlic and mozzarella and/or a flavored goat cheese. Such seafood ingredients as smoked salmon, anchovies, crab, and lobster also make for sophisticated pizza toppings.
You can see the outdoor pizza making demonstration below (or here). Enjoy!
You can see other recent Weekend Video Spotlight Videos here.
Please join us tomorrow to see this week’s Hugging the Coast.Com Week in Review, an overview of last week’s special food features (as well as selected previews from the week to come).
If you liked this video on HuggingtheCoast.Com, you might also enjoy:
- Weekend Video Spotlight: How to Grill Delicious and Buttery Lobster Tails
- Summertime, Where the Grilling (and Outdoor Cooking) is Easy
- Video Recipe: Pulled Pork Barbecue by the BBQ Pit Boys
- Simple Outdoor Pleasures I: Cooking With Pie Irons
- Fish For Friday Recipe: Hominy Grill Shrimp Burgers
- Chimichurri Shrimp Cups with Roasted Garlic Marscapone Recipe
- Food Humor: Little Pink Hot Dogs for You and Me
- Fish For Friday Recipe of the Week: Curried Crab Pizza Recipe
- Fish For Friday Recipe of the Week: Grilled Halibut Fajitas