Toss another bulgogi burger on the barbie! Here’s a fun, Korean influenced macaroni salad that makes a flavorful and out-of-the-ordinary side dish for outdoor meals.
Add some cooked shrimp or shredded chicken and you’ve got a healthy lunch dish, too. Feel free to add more garlic and red pepper flakes if you like your kimchee to bite back
Here’s how to make the Quick and Easy Kimchi Macaroni Salad:
2 large stalks celery, thinly sliced
3 green onions, white parts chopped; green parts thinly sliced on the bias
6 cups packaged cole slaw mix (green cabbage, carrots, etc)
1 cup water
1 tsp salt
4 large cloves garlic, finely minced
1/2 inch piece ginger root, finely minced
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
2 tsp Asian fish sauce
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 – 1 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tsp paprika
1 Tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp prepared horseradish (optional)
1/2 tsp sesame oil (optional)
4 cups cooked elbow macaroni
Toasted sesame seeds for garnish
Combine first five ingredients in a large covered pan over medium-high heat, simmer 3-5 minutes until slightly softened, stirring frequently. Rinse to cool, drain well & squeeze dry.
Whisk together remaining ingredients (except macaroni & sesame seeds); toss cabbage mix with macaroni and fold in the dressing. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Please join us tomorrow to read our newest culinary article on Hugging the Coast, 20 Delicious Recipes For Gourmet Salads Without Mayo, as part of this week’s special Mayo-Free Salad Ideas Recipe Series.
If you liked this article on HuggingtheCoast.Com, you might also enjoy:
- Yesterday’s Mayo Free Recipe- Mayo Free Salad Ideas: Mediterranean Garlic Hummus Potato Salad Recipe
- Foodie Vacations: A Virtual Tour of Asian Street Food: (Weekend Video Spotlight)
- Quick and Creamy Bacon and Asparagus Linguini Recipe
- Fish For Friday Recipe: Quick, Easy, and Delicious Maple and Miso Scallops
- Sesame Coconut Cod in Asian Taco Shells Recipe
- Indian Street Food: A Meal Fit for a Slumdog, a Millionaire, – or a Jumbo King!
- Green Pea and Lemongrass Paradise Pasta With Pan-Seared Asparagus Recipe
- 7 Gourmet Macaroni and Cheese Recipes From the 2008 Tilamook Contest Winners