Muenster is one of the best cheeses for grilled cheese, but you almost never see it used. If you need proof of how good it can be, try this sandwich!
In addition to the muenster, it’s got fresh avocado and sweet onions inside. The avocado is jazzed up with a little fiery horseradish (fun stuff for sandwiches, dips, dressings, etc; if you’ve never tried it you should. Find it in the refrigerated section of the supermarket.)
On top is a crisp, tasty crust of swiss cheese and sunflower seeds. Cheese on top of grilled cheese? Heck yeah!
Here’s how to make the Monterey Muenster Mash Grilled Cheese:
1 large Haas avocado
1 tsp lime or lemon juice
1 tsp prepared horseradish
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
1 whole wheat baguette or equivalent
10 oz muenster cheese, sliced
1/2 of a medium sweet onion, sliced paper thin
Olive oil for brushing
2 Tbsp sunflower seeds kernels
4 oz swiss cheese
Cut avocado in half and remove seed. Scoop out the flesh into a bowl and chop into chunks. Fold in juice, horseradish, salt & pepper.
Trim the ends off the baguette, cut into four pieces, and split. Spread 1/4 of the avocado on each of the bottom halves, top with 1/4 of the onions, and 1/4 of the muenster.
Place the upper half of the bread on top, brush the top with olive oil, and carefully lay the sandwiches top side down in a skillet or griddle. Cook over medium heat until top is lightly toasted. Carefully flip sandwiches over and brown other side.
While the sandwiches are browning, pulse the sunflower seeds in a food processor until coarsely ground. Cut the swiss cheese into approximately 1/2 inch cubes and add to the food processor. Pulse the cheese & seeds together until finely chopped.
Press the swiss cheese/seed mixture onto the tops of the sandwiches and place under the broiler until bubbly. Makes four sandwiches.
Please join us tomorrow to read our newest Fish For Friday Recipe.
If you liked this article on HuggingtheCoast.Com, you might also enjoy:
- 25 Gourmet Grilled Cheese Recipes You Won’t Want to Miss
- Gourmet Grilled Cheese: Fried Green Tomatillo Grilled Cheese With Pepper Jack Cotija Spread Recipe
- Gourmet Grilled Cheese: Southern Style Crab Grilled Cheese Melt Sandwich Recipe
- 11 Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipes and Ideas to Add Deliciousness to Your Day
- 9 Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipes to Celebrate National Grilled Cheese Month
- 7 Gourmet Macaroni and Cheese Recipes From the 2008 Tilamook Contest Winners
- 10 More Refreshing Salad Recipes and Ideas That Won’t Put You To Sleep