An excellent source of Vitamin C, B5, and Potassium, pomegranates are becoming more widely available in farmers’ markets, health food stores, and mainstream supermarkets.
Also known as Chinese apples, this delicious fruit was originally cultivated in Persia.
If you think you’ve never tasted pomegranates you might be surprised to learn otherwise; thickened pomegranate juice is the main flavoring in grenadine syrup which adds sweetness and intensity to many cocktails.
Popular in Greek and Middle Eastern cooking, when the fruit is sliced open, dozens and dozens of juicy arils are revealed; tiny gem-like garnet colored “berries” that are the edible portion of the fruit.
Whether cooked into dishes or used as a healthy garnish, the vivid color of pomegranate arils can add a festive look to all your holiday meals.
One method of opening the fruit is to slice off the crown at the top of the pomegranate then cut the fruit into sections. Place the sections into a bowl of cool water and use your fingers to pluck out the tasty arils in the water to minimize mess.Then just strain out the water and eat.
The Pomegranate Council has some helpful photos featuring this pomegranate opening method here.
Here’s Four of My Own Original Pomegranate Recipes
- Coconut Chipotle Mojo Shrimp With Pomegranate Relish
- Chicken Pomegranate Stuffed Shells With Gorgonzola Cream and Pine Nuts
- Pomegranate-Infused Ginger Chicken With Sesame Scallion Dumplings
- Pomegranate French Toast Frittata With Coriander-Pomegranate Bacon
Some Interesting Pomegranate Recipes From Other Food Blogs
- Pomegranate Jam
- Pomegranate and Almond Rice
- Lamb with Cardamom and Pomegranate Sauce
- Panko-Crusted Turkey Breasts with Pomegranate-Pear Sauce
- Pomegranate Chicken Tagine
- Pork Chops With Pomegranate Stuffing
- Pomegranate Orange Pastries with Honey Glaze
- Pomegranate & Strawberry Chilled Soup
- Pomegranate Raspberry Vinaigrette
- Pomegranate Green Tea Brownies w/ Piñon
- Pom Pom Peking Duck
- Pomegranate Frozen Yogurt
Marcona Almond Encrusted Chicken Fingers with a Creamy Pomegranate Dipping Sauce
- Pomegranate Chocolates with Cinnamon and Coriander
- Persephone’s Delight
- Mixed Baby Greens with Pomegranate Seeds, Gorgonzola and Pecans
With A Pomegranate Vinaigrette
- Pomegranate Panna Cotta
- Pomegranate Curd Tart
- Pomegranate Green Gram Salad (Madulam Pachai Payaru Sundal)
- Spiced Apple and Pomegranate Pie
Even More Pomegranate Recipes
- 43 Recipes From The Pomegranate Council
- 20 Recipes From Pomegranate World
- 145 Recipes From Pom Wonderful
Please join us tomorrow to enjoy Gut Instinct: Trusting Yourself in the Kitchen, which will help you find the culinary courage you need for the upcoming holidays.
If you liked this article on HuggingtheCoast.Com, you might also enjoy:
- Fruit Salad Recipes and Ideas Perfect For a Party
- Carolina Christmas Pomegranate Milk Pie
- 10 Refreshing Salad Recipes and Ideas That Won’t Put You to Sleep
- Orange Fig Chorizos with Brandy & Pine Nuts Recipe
- A Roundup of Sweet Recipes to Bring in the Chinese New Year
- The Top 10 Hottest Food Trends of 2008 (and a Few Predictions for 2009)