Popularized and enjoyed frequently by Thomas Jefferson, baked macaroni and cheese manages to be one of the most supremely comforting and filling dishes there is.
However, with a few culinary tweaks and additional ingredients, the humble mac and cheese is more than ready to crossover from comfort food to the gourmet.
Below are five easy to make recipes for gourmet macaroni and cheese, from the recent winners of 2008 Tillamook Macaroni and Cheese Recipe Contest (as well as two recipes I submitted to the contest)…enjoy!
Grand Prize Winner: Caramelized Sweet Potato, Garlic & Rosemary Macaroni & Cheese by Angie Phillips of Tarzana, California.
First Runner Up: Tillamook Triple-Play Macaroni & Six Cheese Strata by Kathi Jones Del-Monte of Rochester, New York.
Second Runner Up: Tillamook Macaroni & Cheese Chile Relleno Pie by Rhonda Allen of Lake Oswego, Oregon.
People’s Choice Award: Cornbread Topped Apple Macaroni and Cheese by Melissa LaCaille of Kirkland, Washington.
Widmer Brothers Choice Award: Smokey Black Pepper Cheese and Macaroni with Wild Mountain Chanterelles by Catherine Wilkinson from Dewey, Arizona.
My Two Tilamook Recipe Contest Submissions (With Links to Their Recipes)
If you liked this article on HuggingtheCoast.Com, you might also enjoy reading:
- 7 Pasta Shapes I Have Loved (Plus 1 That Made Me Gag)
- Southern Comfort Foods: Country Sausage Gravy (& Sausage Gravy Crack-A-Roni & Cheese)
- Macrodissection and Cheese Part 1: Lost in the Sauce
- Macaroni and Cheese Breakfast Pie Recipe
- 9 Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipes to Celebrate National Grilled Cheese Month
- 11 Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipes and Ideas to Add Deliciousness to Your Day
- Fried Okra Mac and Cheese Recipe