This is a mild curry-in-a-hurry with a delicious, mysterious sauce and crunchy sunflower seeds. The minced lemongrass adds a sweet floral note. You can add some minced jalapeno or other hot pepper, if desired. No additional salt should be necessary.
Here’s a photo of the Asian Sunflower Seed Curry below.
1/2 lb ground chicken
3 cups chopped cabbage
1 cup chopped celery
1 medium green pepper, chopped
2 shallots, minced
1/2 cup shelled sunflower seeds
2 Tbsp peanut butter
2 Tbsp shrimp (or seafood) base
2 Tbsp garam masala
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
3/4 cup very hot water
1 small can tomato sauce
1 Tbsp fish sauce
2 Tbsp finely minced lemongrass
1/4 tsp black pepper
In a large covered skillet, cook the chicken over medium heat, breaking it up into small pieces, until fully cooked. Add the cabbage, celery, green pepper, shallot, and sunflower seeds and saute 5 minutes.
In a small bowl, stir the peanut butter, shrimp base, and garam masala into the hot water until dissolved. Add to the skillet and stir in the tomato sauce and fish sauce. Cover and cook over low heat for 15 minutes, adding a little water if necessary. Stir in the lemongrass and black pepper and cook 5 minutes more. Serve with pappadums or rice. Serves 4.
You can also see our list of delicious seafood recipes, organized by type of fish to make it easier for you to find culinary inspiration and ideas.
Please join us tomorrow to see this week’s culinary Weekend Video Spotlight.
If you liked this article on HuggingtheCoast.Com, you might also enjoy:
- Green Pea and Lemongrass Paradise Pasta With Pan-Seared Asparagus Recipe
- Indian Street Food: A Meal Fit for a Slumdog, a Millionaire, – or a Jumbo King!
- Indian Style Stuffed Peppers with Spiced Basmati Rice Recipe
- Pomegranate-Infused Ginger Chicken With Sesame Scallion Dumplings
- Pork and Shrimp Cabbage Rolls With Butter Poached Shrimp
- Exotic Ice Creams for the Sun-Ravaged Soul