This zesty relish gets its fiery nature from lots of freshly grated ginger, but the bite is tempered by sweet oranges, dried cherries, honey, and spice. It goes great with roast pork, turkey, or game (especially venison) and a dab on a hot, buttered biscuit is a fine way to kick-start the morning, too.
Here’s a photo of the Firecracker Chutney below.
2 cups dried cherries (about 14 oz)
1 cup grated fresh ginger root
3 large oranges, peeled & chopped (white pith and seeds removed); juice reserved (see below)
2 Tbsp orange zest
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp brandy
Water plus reserved juice from oranges to equal 1 cup
Place all ingredients in a large, heavy saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding
a bit more water if needed. Chill thoroughly before serving. Makes about 2 pints.
- 5 or 6 tangerines (depending on size) can be substituted for the oranges.
- Southern Comfort, Grand Mariner, bourbon, or dark rum can be substituted for the brandy, or it can be omitted.
- For another layer of zing, try adding a finely minced jalapeno pepper.
Please join us tomorrow to read our newest daily food and cooking feature on HuggingtheCoast.Com.
If you liked this article on HuggingtheCoast.Com, you might also enjoy:
- Celebrate the 4th of July With These Wonderful Red, White, and Blue Recipes
- Cooking With Zest: Recipes That Make the Most of Fresh Lemon, Orange, and Lime Fruit Zest
- Fish For Friday Recipe of the Week: Star Shaped Smoked Salmon Ravioli
- 5 Good Reasons You Should Encourage Your Kids to Cook at an Early Age