Here’s Day 5 of the A Week of Onion Rings series which features Stuffed Potato Skin Onion Rings.
(Yesterday’s featured onion rings were Curly Ramen Crunch Onion Rings.)
Onion rings that taste like those All-American bacon & cheese & sour cream & butter & chive goodies that many of us secretly wish we could eat for at least one meal a day? Preposterous! Impossible! Absurd! But on the other hand…could it be possible?
The answer is yes! These onion rings are a hybrid of two appetizer platter superstars. They work great as rings, but are even better as jumbo-sized onion chips (and easier to use as dipping scoops after they’re done!)
Even though it seems like beer batter might be a good starting point, the beer provides an off-note to an already complex flavor spectrum. Milk works out much better.
1 4 oz packet Idahoan “Loaded Baked” mashed potato mix, divided
2 cups Basic Batter (made with milk)…see the ingredients list for this batter to the right.
Oil for frying
1 very large yellow or Vidalia onion, cut and separated into 3/4 inch rings
Pulse 1/2 cup of the potato mix in a food processor or blender until powdered. Add this to the batter; stir well and set aside. Put the remaining potato mix in a shallow bowl.
Heat 1/2 to 3/4 inches oil in a heavy skillet to 375 degrees. Dip an onion ring into the batter, coating thickly, and dredge in the dry potato mix. Lay it gently into the oil and cook until golden, turning once. Remove and drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining rings. You can do 2-3 at a time depending on the size of your skillet, but take care not to crowd the pan or let the temperature drop too much, or the rings will turn out greasy.
- Other flavors of mashed potato mix (butter & chive, four cheese, etc.) work well too. (Haven’t tried the mashed sweet potato mix yet, but it looks promising.)
- Nacho cheese sauce? Sour cream? Ranch dip? All of the above? Sounds good to me!.
Join us tomorrow to read Doug’s new recipe for Southern Style Sweet Corn Onion Rings as part of his Week of Onion Rings Series which celebrates the official start of Summer.
If you liked this article on HuggingtheCoast.Com, you might also enjoy:
- New Vidalia Onion Brochure Features Hugging The Coast Onion Ring Recipes!
- French Onion Soup Lasagna Recipe
- A Week of Onion Rings: Hawaiian Sesame Coconut Onion Rings Recipe
- A Week of Onion Rings: Southern Style Sweet Corn Onion Rings Recipe
- A Week of Onion Rings: Cheese and Chive Onion Rings Recipe
- A Week of Onion Rings: Frito Corn Chip Encrusted Onion Rings Recipe
- A Week of Onion Rings: Curly Ramen Crunch Onion Rings Recipe