Not just the ordinary ice cream one gets at the supermarket or at the corner store, but homemade ice cream, whether cranked by hand, formed in a ziplock, or made with the help of an electric ice cream maker.
One of the joys of homemade ice cream is that you can make any flavor you’ve ever fantasized about, from peanut-butter Nutella to fig cardamom to mango macadamia and pistachio pomegranate.
One of my fondest memories is running for our departing train in Venice with last-minute hazelnut gelato…our final, fleeting souvenir of that beautiful city.
I’ll also never forget the sheer sybaritic pleasure of the fresh peach ice cream we had at a country church rummage sale near Waterloo Village.
Here’s a few homemade ice cream recipes to help you find inspiration as you whip up your own original antidotes.
Also, here’s a video from About.Com Japanese Food that shows how to make your own homemade black sesame ice cream. I came across some last week when shopping at the new local Asian market and it was wonderful!
As Voltaire once said, “Ice-cream is exquisite - what a pity it isn’t illegal.”
What was the best homemade ice cream you ever had? What exotic ice cream do you dream of making (or trying) someday?
Tomorrow, we’ll be writing about salt water taffy, which is celebrating its 125th anniversary.
If you liked this video on HuggingtheCoast.Com, you might also enjoy:
- Magical Peanut Butter Moon Pie Ice Cream Milkshake Recipe
- 11 Gourmet Ice Cream Milkshake Recipes to Help You Survive the Dog Days of Summer
- 40 Gourmet Ice Cream Recipes to Celebrate National Ice Cream Month
- Yesterday’s Post-Fish For Friday Recipe: Wonderful Salmon Corn Cakes
- The Sunday Soda Menace: The Surprisingly Controversial History of Ice Cream
- Southern Comfort Foods: Low Country Layered Banana Pudding Recipe
- Red Velvet Devil Dawg Sandwich Cookies: Perfect For Ice cream Sandwiches
- A Roundup of Sweet Recipes to Bring in the Chinese New Year
- Weekend Video Spotlight: How to Make Homemade Maple Syrup
- Missing National Corndog Day (and Other Food on Sticks)!