Fans of outdoor cooking at its finest (as well as gourmet food in general), won’t want to miss the four Redwood Creek Campfire Classic events taking place across the country throughout the spring and summer to kickoff the 2008 camping season.
The most recent event will be held on May 17th, 2008 as part of the Food and Wine Festival at National Harbor in Maryland and will feature the semi-final competitions for the contest for already selected competitors from both the North and Southeast (with Hugging the Coast’s own Doug DuCap competing in the Southeastern Division!).
In addition to the Redwood Creek Campfire Classic cookoffs, the Food and Wine Festival at National Harbor will also feature demonstrations by Michel Richard, the critically acclaimed chef of Citronelle and author of Happy in the Kitchen as well as lectures and samples from dozens of culinary experts from around the country.
Two other Campfire Classic semi-finalist cookoffs will be held in Seattle, WA on May 31st as part of the Pike Place Market Street Festival and in Chicago, IL on June 7th as part of the Chicago Botanic Garden Wine Festival which will determine the finalists from the Northwest and Midwest divisions. (The finalists from the Southwestern division were chosen on May 3rd at Mayfest in Fort Worth, TX.)
Winners of the Campfire Classic Semi-Finals will be awarded $1,000, plus an all-expense paid trip to New York City to compete during the first week of summer for a chance to win a $10,000 Grand Prize. The finals will be judged by Redwood Creek winemaker, Cal Dennison, and Bob Blumer, host of the Food Network’s Glutton for Punishment and The Surreal Gourmet.
Like the poster above? You can get it free here. Also, please see the 2007 Campfire Classic Finalists’ Recipes below to help inspire you on your own culinary campfire adventures:
- 2007 Grand Prize Winner: Coal-Roasted Chuckbox Pozole-Stuffed Onions by Leah Lyon of Ada, Oklahoma
- Chincoteague Scallops by Julia DeCastro of University Park, Florida
- Rocky Mountain Pinon Paella by Paul Heitzenrater of Denver, Colorado
- Down East Lobster Scampi a la Campfire by Brian Mulligan of Bath, Maine
- Lost in the Woods Pork Tenderloin by Kim Wittmers of Minneapolis, Minnesota
Please join us tomorrow to read our newest daily food and cooking feature on HuggingtheCoast.Com.
If you liked this article on HuggingtheCoast.Com, you might also enjoy:
- Original Recipes from Hugging the Coast
- 75+ Recipes From James Beard Award Winning Chefs
- Mexican Guacamole Onion Soup With Cheesy Tostadas Recipe
- 10 Refreshing Salad Recipes and Ideas That Won’t Put You to Sleep
- Million Dollar Winning Contest Recipes from the Pillsbury Bake-Off